Woollahra Municipal Coucil's 2018 Traffic Signal Box Project is now open for submissions.
The Traffic Signal Box Project 2018 offers an invaluable opportunity for artists to work with Woollahra Council and the Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) to promote visual art skills in the public domain.
The project involves artists developing and submitting their designs and then painting them on nominated RMS Traffic Signal Boxes (TSB) within the Woollahra Municipality.
The project offers many positive outcomes including the development of attractive, vibrant places that reflect the culture of the area and engage the community with the public environment.
Artists selected will be paid $800.00 per box.
Guidelines to develop the artwork design
- Visit the TSB sites as the colour, theme, and style of the design must complement the surrounding area.
- Check the measurements of the box as it may affect how you develop the design. For example, complex or detailed designs often require more painting time. Consider how many sides of the box you need to incorporate in the design.
- Draw on elements from the site to develop a theme for the TSB, e.g. everyday life, local landmarks, natural environment, community, culture, built environment, or road safety. If needed, please consult with Council’s Public Art and Cultural Development Officer before they are submitted to Council for selection.
- Keep your design visual – no words.
- Designs should reflect a positive tone. Offensive and/or commercial advertisements are strictly not permitted in the artworks.
- Consider various perspectives and viewing from a distance. Pedestrians and passengers in vehicles view the TSBs from various distances. Ensure your design can engage them. Passengers in vehicles only have a short amount of time to view the box when stopped at traffic lights. Large pictures or abstract designs often work better.
- Consider elements of design which deter vandalism, such as complexity of the work, colour and styles. Avoid leaving large blocks of colour in the artwork.
- The design will need to be painted in approximately two days. Keep this in mind when designing your artwork.
- Your signature - A small signature can be placed on the bottom of the box with the © copyright symbol. Please show us on your design where your signature will go.
Submissions close 26 March at 4pm.