Preparing your application
Applications for PhDs and Masters by Research must be submitted online via myUNSW. Supporting documentation including transcripts, testamurs, portfolios, research proposals and proof of contact with your potential supervisor should be submitted at the same time through the online application system.
The following links will assist you in preparing your Postgraduate Research application:
Postgraduate Research Application Deadlines 2018
If you are not applying for a Scholarship the following application deadlines apply:
Semester 1, 2018: 14 November 2017 (note this date is earlier than other Faculties at UNSW)
Semester 2, 2018: 30 May 2018
Applications can be submitted anytime up until the deadline. Applications will be assessed on a monthly basis and candidates will be notified soon after.
If you are applying for a Scholarship there are four rounds throughout the year, open to both International and Domestic candidates. Please ensure that in your admission application you select the scholarship round which aligns with the semester you wish to start your research degree.
Scholarship deadlines are listed on the Graduate Research School website.
UNSW Art & Design Research Program Application Requirements
All minimum entry requirements for Research study at UNSW, including PhD, Masters by Research, and Masters of Philosophy, are available online through the UNSW Research website. You may find it helpful to use the UNSW HDR Self-Assessment Tool in order to determine your eligibility for admission and scholarship.
All applicants, domestic and international, must meet the English language entry requirements for the University before they can be offered admission.
Please note that entry is based on previous qualifications, the nature of the research proposal and availability of resources and supervision related to the research topic.
In addition to University requirements, applicants to Art & Design research programs must also provide the following information/documentation:
- Research proposal including working title, statement of topic rationale and aims, review of literature and relevant practice, method/approach, timeline, chapter outline, references/preliminary bibliography Length of proposal: 2000-3000 words for PhD, 1000-2000 words for Masters by Research
- An account of your previous research experience
- The names and contact details of two academic referees
- An account of relevant professional experience (publications, prizes, exhibitions etc.)/C.V
- If applicable, a portfolio of images: DVD, USB, websites etc. or other documentation that demonstrates your studio capabilities
- Itemisation of facilities required to conduct your research (studio space/access to library/computer/darkroom etc.)
- Academic transcripts, grading system (including cut-off mark for Honours First Class if applicable). Also examiner reports from previous research qualifications if applicable.
- A copy of an email from your potential supervisor confirming that they agree to supervise your research project
All artwork documentation submitted must include a declaration that the applicant is the originator of the work.