A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) requires completion of a piece of research that demonstrates a significant and original contribution to knowledge in the fields of fine art, sculpture, moving image, performance art, social practice, design, media arts, curating, art theory, art education and their interdisciplinary fields through independent, supervised research and investigation. Art & Design candidates acquire advanced specialist research training and produce a thesis that provides evidence for independent thought, critical analysis, and expert knowledge of the discipline in an international context. Creative work may form part of the thesis in the School of Art & Design.
Program code: 1292
Duration: 3-4 years full-time
The PhD Art, Design and Media focuses on research training in the following areas:
- Art and Affect
- Art and Science
- Creative Robotics
- Culture and Technology
- Experimental Arts Practice in the areas of Globalisation, Migration and Mobility studies, Trauma and Conflict
- Experimental Curatorial Research
- Experimental Data Visualisation and 3D Visualisation Aesthetics
- Experimental Design
- Experimental Environmental Research
- Indigenous Art and Politics
- Interactive, Immersive and Augmented Media
- Photography, Painting, Drawing, Printmaking and Sound Research
- Visual communication, Object design, Experience design, Textile Design and New Technologies
The minimum requirement for admission to a PhD degree is:
- an appropriate four-year degree of Bachelor with first or upper second class Honours from the University of New South Wales, or
- a completed Masters by Research including substantial research component from the University of New South Wales, or
- a qualification from another tertiary institution at a level considered equivalent to either of the above by the Higher Degree Committee (HDC)
In exceptional cases, an applicant who the HDC consider to hold academic and professional qualifications equivalent to the required qualifications may be permitted to enrol in the degree.
Information about English language proficiency requirements can be found here.
The following Scholarships are available to PhD Art, Design and Media research degree students:
- UNSW Domestic Research Scholarships
- UNSW International Research Scholarships
- UNSW Scientia PhD Scholarship Scheme
- Art & Design PhD Early Completion Scholarship
For more information on our postgraduate research degrees, please email Postgraduate Research Support.