Cicada Press was established by founding Director Michael Kempson in 2004 to foster research projects that facilitate diverse contemporary dialogues and promote the broad methodological potential of printmaking practice.
For students at UNSW Art & Design the Cicada Press Workshop is an educationally focussed custom printing model that has an emphasis on open dialogue, broad relationships with the artistic community and highlights the importance of lived experience in learning.
- To support practical research into autographic, photographic and digital printmaking processes.
- To mediate in the production of fine art prints created by artists, collaborative teams and indigenous communities invited to work within UNSW Art & Design Custom Printing undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
- To foster relationships through printmaking related projects between UNSW Art & Design and university art schools internationally.
- To provide educational leadership as a centre of excellence in custom printmaking practice.
- To develop a local, regional and international dialogue through print exchange exhibitions that reflect current research outcomes.
All of the artists invited to work at Cicada Press generously allocate a small number of prints from each edition produced to be available for sale allowing Printmaking at the school to generate income to maintain existing infastructure or fund future research projects.
For print purchases or any information please contact:
Head of Printmaking and Director of Cicada Press
Ph: +61 2 8936 0759